Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Refusing A Christmas Gift

il Bufalo

This image is from the book by Shaun Tan's "little stories in the suburbs" and Rizzoli in Italy.
This image is from Shaun Tan's picture book "Little Tales of Suburbia"
the image you see is from a wonderful book of short stories written and illustrated by a truly exceptional artist Shaun Tan. The illustration is taken from the first story of the book, which speaks of Buffalo. The Buffalo was behind the house, in a field and when someone does not know what to do and was undecided on the way forward or a choice to make, went to the field and the buffalo's simply indicates a direction, without explanation, without adding another, a simple "over there".
Now, I do not know about you, but many times in my life I found myself wanting to have a buffalo in a field behind his house to show me a direction (any) to be taken.
Shaun Tan (who is also the writer of this book) can create a story of a few lines evoking a feeling and a concept by no means trivial and we can gracefully, creating beautiful image, a buffalo in the middle of a field that tells you the way ... it is thanks to books like this that I am passionate about children's literature: because there is nothing "just for kids" and I strongly believe that image stories like this and talk to everyone. And that's exactly what I want to learn to do better and better over time.
How ends the story of the buffalo? One day he went away and did not find him anymore. Perhaps, thanks to him, had learned to make the best decisions depart.
ps today I regret the long absence of the buffalo behind my house, but in the end I did the same:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment